A dinner party or Sunday Lunch recipe.
Like the Beef Brisket this is an expensive recipe in both ingredients and cooking time, but you will have loads of left overs for meals through the week that you can make other recipes with
Pork belly is a relatively cheap cut of meat, making this an affordable roast to feed a crowd
And everyone (with good teeth) loves crackling!!
Please do tell us if you make this recipe. And give it a rating - one to five hearts!
1.Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin.
2. Trickle with a little oil, then lightly press on the crushed peppercorns and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.
3.Place in the oven, then cook for 1 hr. Remove from the oven and baste with the juices. Continue to cook for a further 1½ hrs, basting every 20 mins.
4.Put the sliced onions in the roasting tin under the pork.
5. Mix the honey together with the cumin and chilli, brush it over the pork, then increase the oven to 200C/fan 180C/ gas 6. Cook for a further 30-40 mins, basting occasionally, until caramelised with a rich, golden glaze over the pork.
6. Once cooked and tender (this can be easily tested by piercing the flesh with a knife), remove pork from the oven, then leave to rest for 10-15 mins.
7. While the pork is resting, heat the tin on the stove with the onions, adding 2 tbsp water. This will lift any residue from the pan, creating a moist cooking liquor. Season the onions with salt and pepper, then divide between 6 plates.
8. Carve pork into 6 portions, then serve on top of the onions. Pour any remaining liquor over and serve.
If you like this recipe, please share it on Social Media, email it to someone or print it out.
1.3kg piece pork belly, boned, rind left on and scored (ask your butcher to do this) (£8.00p)
2 tsp sunflower oil (5p)
1 tsp white peppercorns, crushed (10p)
3 large onions, sliced (40p)
2-3 tbsp clear honey (25p)
2 tsp ground cumin (20p)
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (22p)
From: BBC GoodFood
Thanks to Claire Worboys for contributing this recipe