If you have left over rice this is the only thing to make!!
The recipe below is for plain egg fried rice but you can add anything else that you fancy to it. Spring onions, any type of cooked meat, peppers, chilli, etc etc.
Also cook the egg before you put the rice in to the pan and not the other way around. If you add the rice first you will just get a soggy mush! The MSG is optional.
Please do tell us if you make this recipe. And give it a rating - one to five hearts!
1. Crack the egg into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and MSG (if using) and then whisk.
2. Place the cold rice in a bowl, add the dark soy, salt and MSG, mix well, ensure all the rice has a layer of soy over it.
3. Heat a wok and add one dsp of vegetable oil.
4. Allow the oil to get hot
5. Once hot, pour the egg into the wok, allow to sit for 20 seconds then stir and let sit for 10 seconds, continue
doing this until the egg is cooked.
6.When the egg has cooked now add the mixed rice.
7. There will be clumps in the rice; you will have to use the back of your spatula to knock them down. Stir and flip
the rice over 15- 20seconds
8. During those 15-20 seconds of waiting is when you "beat the rice."
9. Continue to do this for 3-4 minutes
10. When the rice is ready, it will start to move like molasses sugar; it will slightly bind and slowly falls apart when
the rice is hot and moving in this way the dish is done.
If you like this recipe, please share it on Social Media, email it to someone or print it out.
300g overnight rice
1 1⁄2 tsp dark soy sauce
Pinch of salt
1⁄4 tsp MSG (optional)
1 dsp vegetable oil