This simple vegetarian bulgur chilli is sure to satisfy even the most die-hard meat lovers. It freezes beautifully for up to three months. The jalapeño and cayenne optional in this recipe. Definitely include them if you like a little spice! If you prefer a more mild chilli, leave them out.
The chilli itself is vegan, though it's great topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
You can also use any cans of beans that you can get. It doesnt have to be black beans.
Between the bulgar and the beans it will feed many mouths!
Please do tell us if you make this recipe. And give it a rating - one to five hearts!
1) Heat the oil in a large pan or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
2) Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeños and cook until softened but not brown, about 3 minutes.
4) Add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5) Add the bulgur, tomatoes, salt, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
6) Add the black beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, until the bulgur is tender-chewy and the chilli thickens slightly, 10 to 15 minutes more.
7) Serve with toppings of choice.
Freezes well or can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days
If you like this recipe, please share it on Social Media, email it to someone or print it out.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion diced
1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
2 jalapeños optional, minced
4 cloves garlic minced
3 tablespoons chilli powder
2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
3/4 cup bulgur
3 cans tinned tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Topping suggestions: shredded cheddar cheese sour cream, diced avocado, coriander, minced jalapeños
From: The Turnip Oven